Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chocolate George

Tonight I made Ava’s cake topper from modeling chocolate.  I was trying to get a head start on her birthday cake.  Modeling chocolate is supposed to keep up to a week and seriously I don’t think anyone would want to eat George anyways (he has a support wire running through him and I’m kind of oddly attached to this personified little fella after spending all night with him)  I  did not find modeling chocolate super easy to work with, contrary to what I’ve heard (but then again I’m “hearing” all my caking things from the cake boss show…hmmm, really realistic Gina!)  I’d never used it before and I kept botching my batches but finally got it the right consistency.  So here’s my best attempt.  Next week I am making the modeling chocolate balloons and hopefully George and his balloons will top the cake well and look like he is floating up off the top.

DSC_1049DSC_1047

DSC_1045

I’m thinking he will be safe on the top shelf on my pantry until next week, but Ava is a fearless climber so hopefully she won’t notice him hanging out up there. Oops just realized I need to cover him up in plastic don’t want him to crack.  More caking to come….

2 comments:

Katie and Justin Cox said...

Woah... SUPER MOM! You've got a busy week this week I KNOW!! Such a cute birthday theme for your little monkey! :)

Sarah Beth said...

amazing!! I can't wait to see the whole cake, you have amazing vision for tasty things!! Happy baking!