Wednesday, June 15, 2011

And the cake craze continues…

YAY!  I got to make another cake!! Here is the Gerber Daisy Cake that I made for Sarah’s Birthday (Gerber daisies are one of Sarah’s favorite flowers.)  I made the flowers out of gum paste and that was way fun to do.  Gum paste doesn’t have much flavor though so though so they looked better than they tasted!

I rolled the fondant a lot thinner this time and it smoothed on so much easier, plus the cake wasn’t crazy heavy.  I ended up not using the purple flowers, they were supposed to go in the cake pot that ended up collapsing.

DSC_0047DSC_0046DSC_0044

15

1316

DSC_0070DSC_0043

DSC_0045

This is the cake pot that was supposed to sit on the green striped bottom layer, it collapsed when I tried to fix the loose fondant on the bottom after stacking it.  I set it on the table and left the room and came back to a half eaten cake and a comatosed Boo Bear.  It was FOUR layers of chocolate, so glad Baylor was okay!

DSC_0042  

I really wanted to have the daisies coming out of a cake pot with Oreo cookie dirt. I was bummed that the pot didn’t work but the bottom layer turned out to be plenty because it was so rich.   A thick layer of chocolate buttercream and mini chocolate chips between two chocolate cakes covered in marshmallow fondant equals one rich piece of cake!

56

2 comments:

Katie and Justin Cox said...

Woah Gina!! Such a talent you have!! I love it!

Sarah Beth said...

So beautiful and SO tasty!!! I'm still holding on to the flowers, I can't bear to eat or throw them out! You are so sweet, and so so talented!