Sunday, May 22, 2011

My first Cake

Last week I got an urge to make a cake, random, anyways I thought I should try one and see how I liked it, I mean it looks fun on all the cake shows on t.v. right?  SO my verdict on cake making.. I LOVED IT!! I had a great time making this cake.  I researched how to make fondant cakes online first and thanks to YouTube I felt like I could try one.  I decided to make my first cake an “AVA” cake in her pink and green colors.  I had a few minor mishaps, cracked fondant on the top loop of the bow because I didn’t let it dry long enough before assembling and a back loop cracked off when I put the bow on top which I’ll fix tomorrow. I had a minor “caketastrophy” when baking the cakes because I overfilled the pans, oops…  actually wasn’t really a big deal I just wanted to use my cheesy word that I kept throwing out all weekend to make Greg give me the “seriously Gina?” look, I love that look ha!  The cake is a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream icing between the cake part and the fondant.  Fondant is fun to work with but doesn’t taste so great, I’m going to try different recipes and hopefully find a good one. I’m also hoping to take some cake decorating classes for my birthday or Christmas present this year.                  

   (Hint hint Greg Smile )

DSC_1191

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am highly impressed with your cake! Maybe you have a future as a baker. :)

Laura said...

Good grief...that is gorgeous!!! Looks professional!

Sarah Beth said...

super cute Gina! Perfect for S's & G's bakery section! I totally want to take cake decorating class too, but looks like you already know what you're doing!